The devotion to Mary, Undoer of Knots has become more popular ever since Pope Francis encouraged the devotion in Argentina, and then spoke about it during his first year as pontiff.
The theology of the devotion actually goes back to the second century. Saint Irenaeus wrote that, “The knot of Eve’s disobedience was untied by the obedience of Mary; what the virgin Eve bound by her unbelief, the Virgin Mary loosened by her faith.”
Mary’s faith unties the knot of sin!
So we will pray that the Blessed Virgin Mary will intercede for us all, to untie the knots of sin in our lives – so that we may be purified and ever closer to God.
Daily Opening Prayers:
- Begin each day of the Novena to Mary, Undoer of Knots, with the Sign of the Cross.
- Make an Act of Contrition. You can use any form; simply ask God to pardon your sins and make a firm purpose of amendment not to commit them again.
- Optional, but recommended: Pray the first three decades of the Rosary, with the appropriate mysteries for the day: Joyful (Mondays, Saturdays, Sundays of Advent, and Sundays from Epiphany until Lent), Luminous (Thursdays), Sorrowful (Tuesdays, Fridays, and daily from Ash Wednesday until Easter), Glorious (Wednesdays & Sundays).
- Make the meditation for the particular day (as follows).
- Pray Closing Prayers below.
Meditation for the First Day of the Novena to Mary, Undoer of KnotsDearest Holy Mother, Most Holy Mary, you undo the knots that suffocate your children. Extend your merciful hands to me. I entrust to You today this knot [mention your request here] and all the negative consequences that it provokes in my life. I give you this knot that torments me and makes me unhappy and so impedes me from uniting myself to You and Your Son Jesus, my Savior. I run to You, Mary, Undoer of Knots, because I trust you and I know that you never despise a sinning child who comes to ask you for help. I believe that you can undo this knot because Jesus grants you everything. I believe that you want to undo this knot because you are my Mother. I believe that You will do this because you love me with eternal love. Thank you, Dear Mother.
Mary, Undoer of Knots, pray for me.